Plea to Minister to allow subsistence hunting under level-3 Lockdown
Date: Vol 16-26
VOL. 16 (26) - 28-05-2020
PLEA TO MINISTER TO ALLOW SUBSISTENCE HUNTING UNDER LEVEL-3 OF THE LOCKDOWN
1. Natshoot was part of a team of the wildlife and hunting sector who was fortunate enough to be allowed a virtual meeting with the Minister of Environment, Forestry and Fisheries, Me Barbara Creecy, on 19 May 2020.
2. The request for the meeting was to, inter alia, ask the Minister and officials of the Department of Environmental Affairs to assist game farm owners in their plight for survival under the current Lockdown Regulations, and allow limited hunting to generate some income.
3. The proposal was thus a plea of the sector for subsistence hunting to be included as a permitted activity in Level-3.
4. Subsistence hunting is described as hunting for the primary purpose of the hunter acquiring game meat for personal food security (for the game farm to, in turn, accrue some income).
5. The group's request was very favourably received by the Minister and by the officials of the Department.
6. At Natshoot we are once again certain that we have a Minister and officials who will support the sector because she and her officials believe in the contribution the sector can make to the economy and to the well being of our country's people.
7. We are thus carefully optimistic that subsistence hunting will be allowed under Level-3.
8. We will notify members in this regard the moment we know.
9. You can read the plea to the Minister by the group’s Chairperson HERE