Extension of Amnesty; Firearms Dealers to open doors; DFOs ordered to accpet all types of licence applications
Date: Vol 16-24
VOL. 16 (24) - 23-05-2020
POSSIBLE EXTENSION OF THE FIREARMS AMNESTY, FIREARM DEALERS TO OPEN DOORS, AND SUBMISSION OF ALL FIREARM LICENCE APPLICATIONS
EXTENSION OF FIREARMS AMNESTY
1. It has been reported that the Minister of Police had submitted a request to Parliament asking for an extension of the period of the firearms amnesty, which will end on 31 May 2020 as per current Parliamentary granted authority (original official amnesty declaration can be read here).
2. The period of extension for which the Minister has applied, has not been disclosed. We shall inform members of the extension, if any, the moment we know.
3. We advise members who have firearms with expired white licences and who still want to participate in the amnesty, to rather accept 31 May 2020 as the cut-off date on the current firearms amnesty - that is effectively before 14:00 on Friday 29 May 2020.
4. Members who still want to participate in the amnesty can read the procedures of participation in our Newsletter of 17 January 2020
FIREARMS DEALERS TO OPEN DOORS FOR ESSENTIAL ITEMS
5. On 22 May 2020, Genl. Mamotheti (Head; SAPS FLASH) issued a directive with reference 3/3/8(200), to all Provincial Commissioners in which it is stated that all licensed firearm dealers may open their doors and trade in essential goods per Level 4 Lockdown Regulations (will be extended to Level 3 lockdown too).
ALL LICENCE APPLICATIONS TO BE ACCEPTED BY DFO
6. Paragraph 4.1 of the above-mentioned Directive it is stated that all applications for firearm licences, competencies, as well as all applications under the amnesty, must be accepted by DFOs
7. Please accept that communications within SAPS will be slow, and that not all police stations would have received communications from their Provincial Offices before Wednesday 27 May 2020. We advise members to make a printout of the Directive (see below) if they want to submit any application with SAPS.
Posting of this Newsletter communicated to all members via Email on 25 May 2020