Renewal of Licences: Process Explained
Date: Vol 16-12
VOL. 16 (12) - 15-04-2020
RENEWAL OF LICENCES: PROCESS EXPLAINED
In general our members’ firearm licences are starting to have to be renewed.
If you have logged your firearms under My Firearms on your Natshoot Member Portal you will receive an automatic system generated Email, 150 days before the licence expires, warning you to ascertain that you renew the specific licence on time. The message is repeated on 120 days before expiry of the licence again.
Remember that you have to submit your renewal application(s) 90 days before the expiry date of your white card licences. DO NOT get caught out with licences which have expired please ! Please do not get yourself into a position where you are forced to hand in your firearm because you are in effect illegally in possession of it.
If you apply before 90 days of expiry date, your existing licence remains valid until SAPS renews your licence – no matter how long that might take (the renewed licence(s) will also be valid for the period the original licence was valid for, i.e. 5 years or 10 years).
Please ascertain that you make a copy of the receipt for the payment(s) you will have to make for renewal(s), and that you at all times carry this copy of the receipt with your expired licence as proof that you have applied for renewal on time. Otherwise it can be taken that you are illegally in possession of a firearm as the licence has expired (that is especially true for instances where you might be stopped in a road block of some sorts and you are asked if you have firearms in your possession)
The following documents will have to accompany your renewal application(s):
- Correctly completed SAPS 518(a) form;
- Copy of your ID;
- Copy of proof of residence;
- Copies of all relevant training certificates (those of the Proficiency Trainer and your POSLEC, or SASSETA, or PFTC Statment of Results certificate);
- Copy of your competency certificate(s) (Make sure you read our Newsletter Vol. 13(08) on the renewal of Competencies before you renew your firearm licences);
- Copy of existing licence;
- Proof of paid-up membership of NHSA (download from your Personal NHSA Profile Page [see My NHSA Documents] (and of other accredited associations);
- Copy of NHSA dedicated status certificate(s);
- Proof of membership of all the clubs you are a member of;
- Motivation explaining purpose and use of firearm, which includes a large section containing proof of use of firearm for purposes it was originally motivated for (don’t fold here – attach copies of receipts for hunting trips, of permissions to hunt and transport venison, letters from game ranchers saying that you hunted with them, photo’s of hunting trips with dates, shooting range registers, score cards, photo’s of you on the shooting range, etc.) (download your NHSA Activities & Scores Report as well as your activities register from your personal NHSA Profile Page);
- NHSA endorsement of your application and motivation.
- Remember to also complete the Safe-form and attach same to your application - download HERE (make sure you read page 2 of this document)
LEASE DO NOT FIND YOURSELF AT FAULT WITH THIS BY LAW REQUIRED PROCESS
GO AND LOOK WHAT THE EXPIRY DATES OF ALL YOUR LICENCES ARE RIGHT NOW !!
SAPS APPLICATION FORMS TO RENEW FIREARM LICENCES